Sunday 30 January 2011

Improvisation - 'S' !

Im

I have decided to take the 'snippet' idea from the Siobhan Davis Archives a step further. By developing it into an improvisational task I can create something that gives a taster of each letter sounding - I am able to stick to the idea that this is a 'work in progress' assessment and not a final piece.


Focusing on the letter 's'. Repeat the letter aloud and improvise, experimenting with breath between a long with held 'sss' and a short 's'
.

Long 'sss' sound is controlled, tense, unfolding of the limbs, rolling through the spine , that doesn't travel very far.
Short 's' sound is sharp, jabbing at the air, quick and almost unexpected.
The juxtaposition reminds me of a snake's behavior, building tension in its body, coiling back and then darting swiftly at its prey.

I'm finding it difficult to say the sounding out loud, probably because I don't breath when I move =/

No comments: